19 Jan sublime and healthy slow cooker biryani
Welcome back to Sandtondiet and to this week’s slow cooker chicken biryani recipe. This recipe is one of a series of healthy recipes, that I am compiling, that can be made in the slow cooker.
I love cooking in the slow cooker. It’s economical in terms of electricity and it is just so easy. I have said it before, but I love the idea of dumping supper and leaving it to do its thing.
This slow cooker chicken biryani does require a few minutes of preparation. When you are using dried spices they need to be cooked first or they taste raw. So this recipes begins with sautéing the onions and the spices so that spices are cooked. I also quickly browned the chicken for a bit of colour. You can skip this step if you want to. Once this is done all the ingredients are dumped into the slow cooker and your job is done.
This recipe is beautifully fragrant. The combination of Garam masala, garlic and other Indian spices are truly gorgeous. My kitchen smelt like cooking heaven when I was making this.
I garnished this slow cooker chicken biryani with micro herbs and coriander. Feel free to add your own flourish to this recipe.
I look forward to seeing your slow cooker creations. Until next time, Leanne xoxo
Slow cooker chicken biryani
2 small onions finely chopped
4 tsp canola oil
1 tsp fresh garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp garam masala
1 tsp Tumeric
1 tsp ground Coriander
1/2 tsp ground ginger
600g chicken breasts, cut into strips
500ml chicken stock
125ml lite coconut milk
- Heat two teaspoons of oil in a pan and sauté the onions for a minute or two
- Add the spices and cook for a further two minutes
- Remove the onions from the pan, add the last two teaspoons of oil and sauté the chicken pieces until lightly browned (you can skip this step)
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside
Prepare your slow cooker
5. Spray the slow cooker with olive oil non-stick cooking spray
6. Place the rice and onions at the bottom of the slow cooker
7. Next add the chicken stock and coconut milk to the slow cooker
8. Lastly place the chicken on top of the rice and liquid and cook on high for 1 hour 45 minutes
9. Open the slow cooker and stir the biryani once during cooking
10. Once cooked take the biryani out of the slow cooker to prevent the rice from overcooking