02 Jul shredded chicken tacos
Welcome back to Sandtondiet and to this week’s shredded chicken taco recipe. These shredded chicken tacos were a really fun and interactive meal. Everyone had an absolute blast putting their suppers together.
I made the chicken in my slow cooker. The result was a soft, succulent and super moist chicken that required no effort at all. I simply spiced the chicken with taco spice and let the slow cooker do the rest. You can also cook the taco chicken in the oven if you want. Just Drizzle the chicken with a bit of oil and season it with the taco seasoning. The chicken will take about 1 1/2 – 2 hours at 180C on the oven. It won’t be as soft as it would be in the slow cooker though.
The other bits that went with these shredded chicken tacos were a chopped salad, some guacamole and sour ‘cream’ that I made using coconut cream. I have to admit that I cheated with the guacamole. I used bought Guacamole for this recipe because just ran out of time for this last step.
My final say about this recipe is that my kids absolutely loved this meal. I’m sure as with most kids, yours are often reluctant to try new things. Well mine are too. So approval from them counts for a lot in my world.
If you would like some other chicken recipes then you’ve come to the right place. My kids loved this quick and easy paleo pesto chicken. Another really great resource is this collection of The ultimate top 15 chicken recipes.
I recently found this recipe for chicken with peanut sauce from Damndelicious. It also looks incredibly delicious to try – https://damndelicious.net/2019/06/07/chicken-satay-with-peanut-sauce/. You can never go wrong with a chicken curry. This recipe from Well Plated will not disappoint – https://www.wellplated.com/thai-chicken-curry/.
Healthy shredded chicken tacos
1/2 large cucumber, diced finely
2 large tomatoes, Sliced and diced finely
1 thick slice onion, diced finely
Season with salt
Drizzle with olive oil
1 x 400ml can coconut cream
2 Tbsp lemon juice
Salt to taste
1 whole chicken, cut into portions
- Combine the salad ingredients and set aside to marinade
- Next combine the coconut cream and the lemon juice and mix well
- Place the sour cream into the fridge for at least half an hour for the flavours to infuse
- Season the chicken with the taco seasoning and place into the slow cooker
- Cook the chicken for 6 hours (there is no need to turn the chicken during the cooking process)
- Once the chicken is cooked shred as much chicken as you need for the number of people you are serving (I only needed the chicken breasts for the 4 people that ate the meal)
- If you are going to cook the chicken in the oven then drizzle the chicken with some oil and the season the chicken with the taco seasoning.
- Place the chicken into an ovenproof dish and cook, uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the juices run clear (you will need to turn the chicken once or twice during the cooking to ensure that it cooks evenly)
- The final step is to place the taco shells into the oven and bake them at 180C for 3 minutes (just double check that the process for your taco shells is the same as that for the brand that I used)